Sunday, May 9, 2010

Apple Spice Cake with Caramel Frosting


I love anything with apples in it, so when I came across this recipe I was very excited to try it. I laughed because it was very similar to an Apple Cake recipe I had copied down from Paula Dean years ago, but never made it because my husband is allergic to apples. So when I invited a few girlfriends over one night I decided it would be a perfect time to try it out. It was so delicious! The cake was moist, the apples were tender, and the caramel sauce was to die for. I liked it so much I made it the next weekend for a family gathering.

Apple Spice Cake
recipe courtesy Martha Stewart

1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
1 cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Caramel Sauce (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan; set aside. (Make sure you grease the pan very well, the second time I made it some of the cake stuck to the pan.
In a large bowl sift together flour,
cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a separate bowl combine vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.
Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until just incorporated.
Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add
vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted
in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.
Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.
Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on
rack, and serve drizzled with caramel sauce


Caramel Sauce

1 cup light brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 t vanilla
pinch of salt

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook,
stirring, until thickened to desired consistency.

No comments: