Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Refried Beans



I had heard great reviews about this recipe from multiple friends, so I was excited to try it. I knew it cooked in the crock pot all day, so in the morning I looked at the recipe so I would be prepared and cook it long enough. To my dismay I learned I was supposed to soak the beans over night. My husband was going out of town, looking forward to what I had told him we were having for dinner, and I wasn't going to change my plans. So I altered the recipe a little, and they still came out really good. I will put the changes I made to the original recipe at the end so if you are on top of things you can do it the right way, or if you are not (like me) you can do it a different way, that still tasted really good.

Refried Beans
adapted from Katie's Recipes

3 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can chicken broth
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt

Add all ingredients into an oven safe pot and cook in the oven at 200 degrees for 5-6 hours. (Or you can put it in a crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours). Take out some of the juices. Blend in a food processor or blender until desired consistency. If it is too thick you can add some juices back in.

If you want to use dry beans: Soak 1 lb. dry pinto beans over night and drain. Instead of the one can of chicken broth add 2 cups water and 3 cups chicken broth to replace it. Add the rest of the ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on high 6-8 hours.

No comments: