Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chicken Devan

I have two Chicken Devan recipes that I like. The first is my favorite. It is a Paula Dean recipe and is fabulous. The second I also like and it has a lot less ingredients - so if I am in a hurry, that is the one that I make.



Paula Dean's Chicken Devan

2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli, chopped
6 cups shredded chicken, cooked (I probably don't use quite this much)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (I use one cream of mushroom and 1 cream of chicken, both are the 98% fat free)
1 cup mayonnaise (I use the 1/3 less fat)
1 cup sour cream (I use lite)
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Defrost the broccoli and drain any excess water. Put into a greased 9X13 casserole dish. Put the shredded chicken on top of the broccoli.

In a medium bowl, combine the soup, mayo, sour cream, cheddar cheese, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper, to taste, and wine. Whisk together to make a sauce.

Pour the mixture on top of the broccoli and chicken. Smooth with a spatula. In another bowl combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs and butter and then sprinkle on the top.

Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes. Serve over rice.


Easy Chicken Devan

1 large bag broccoli
3 cups shredded chicken
2 cans cream of chicken
1 cup mayo
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 tsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Blend soup, mayo and lemon juice. Spread broccoli in a greased 9X13 inch pan. Put chicken on top. Cover with soup mixture. Grate cheese over the top and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve over rice.

No comments: