Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ground Beef Fricassee



My mom always made this recipe for our family when we were growing up. It was one I took to college and made for my roommates. I had one roommate in particular who loved it. She would always request that I make it for her. This is a great comfort meal. It is still one of my favorites!


Ground Beef Fricassee

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
3 Tbsp green pepper, diced
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Cook ground beef in a skillet until lightly browned, using fat if necessary. Add onion, celery, and green pepper. Cook until onion is soft and translucent. Blend in flour, then add hot water in which bouillon cube has dissolved. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Add remaining ingredients. Cover. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes.

No comments: