Sunday, January 17, 2010

Poppy Seed Bread



I apologize for my long hiatus. The holidays were a wonderful and crazy time and I feel like I'm just now getting back in to normal life. This recipe is more of a holiday recipe, but I didn't get a chance to post it before now, so here it is. I grew up with my mom making this wonderful bread around the holidays. It is delicious!

POPPY SEED BREAD

3 cups flour, sifted
2 1\2 cups sugar
1 1\2 t. salt
3 eggs
1 1\2 cups milk
1 1\8 cups vegetable oil
1 1\2 t. poppy seeds
1 1\2 t. vanilla extract
l 1\2 t. almond extract
1 1\2 t. butter flavoring

GLAZE:

3\4 cup sugar
1\4 cup lemon juice (or orange juice)
1\2 t. vanilla extract
1\2 t. almond extract
1\2 t. butter flavoring

Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. Line the pans with wax paper, then grease and flour wax paper. Preheat oven to 350. Mix all bread ingredients together, then beat for 2 minutes. Pour into pans and bake for 1 hour. Mix glaze ingredients together. Heat in microwave just to melt sugar (2 to 3 minutes). Remove bread from pans. Pour glaze over hot bread or use pastry brush.

1 comment:

Mike and Kimmy said...

This looks so good! I love poppyseed bread. I can't wait to try it.