Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Salsa Chicken Soup



I love soup and luckily so does my husband. I am always looking for good soup recipes. I had this soup at a friends house in October and couldn't wait to make it. The soup reminds me of some taco soups that I've tried but has it's own unique flavor. When I tried it at my friends it was a little salty, so I used low sodium chicken broth and it wasn't salty enough. I would use regular chicken broth, but don't add any salt until you taste it.

Salsa Chicken Soup
Recipe courtesy Jodie Heiselt

1 Tbsp oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1/3 c salsa
1 can corn, drained
1 lb. cooked chicken, diced
1 avocado, diced
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
tortilla chips
green onions and lime for garnish

In a large saucepan heat oil. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, and salsa. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in corn and chicken, heat through. Top with chips, avocado, lime and green onion if desired.

No comments: